Monday, August 17, 2009

Welcome to My English 10 Class

Welcome to my class. I truly hope you will enjoy what we do. I am working hard to make sure that we satisfy all our requirements in an interesting manner. My class has four main components:

1) Writing Skills (Including Grammar) and Editing Skills: Is that a groan I hear? Hey, communication is very important in EVERY part of your life. I want to make sure you know how to express yourself in a clear, thoughtful and well-presented manner.

2) Looking at Literature: It is through literature that we can gain an appreciation of other people/cultures/time periods.

3) Study Skills: Good organizational skills, study skills and time
management skills are all qualities I want to help you develop. It will make your life easier.

4) Poetry Appreciation: We will be working with poetry in order to help you have a better understanding of good writing and the tools authors use to achieve excellence in text.

5) CSAP Preparation – we will combine our study of the texts with
skills practice that will get you ready and accustom to CSAP-style exams.

I want you to succeed in my class. Even if you don’t feel like you’re “good” at writing or reading, you can still get a good grade in my class. So, you say, how do I do that? Here’s the drill:

• COME TO CLASS EVERYDAY! Having an interesting mix of students makes the class more fun. I want to see your smiling face every school day.

Absences & Tardies: I will be enforcing the school attendance policies. Unexcused absences will hurt your grade. When you have an unexcused absence you cannot get points for the work you are required to do. This includes tests. Also, if you ditch class because you do not have a major assignment done on the due date, I will know! This may result in “0” points for that assignment

• BE PREPARED! For my class you will need your brain, a well fed body, a good attitude, respect, and the following supplies:
• Pens: All assignments must be done in pen or typed/word processed.

• Paper: You need to have loose leaf paper to use for your assignments. Spiral bound paper should be used for items such as class notes.

• Your Time Tracker: This should be used to record assignment, especially homework due dates. It also serves as your hall pass.

• Markers or Colored Pencils that have been sharpened: We will be doing some fun things in class that you require a nice visual presentation. Be sure to put your name on your markers or colored pencils. (optional)

• A Highlighter: These will also be used to enhance your study skills. (optional)

Grading Criteria:
All assignments are given points. Grades are awarded based on points earned.

90% = A 80% = B 70% = C 65% = D

How do you earn points?
• Major Projects (these will usually be essays) and Tests

• Quizzes

• In Class Work

• Homework: The amount of homework you get depends on how fast you work in class and the grade you want to earn. Some homework will be given independently of class work. Work is due at the beginning of class on the day it is due. All work completed on a computer must be printed out. I do not accept discs. Do not procrastinate on your homework, especially the reading assignments. Procrastination is a tempting mistress that will ditch you like a dog when you need her! Don’t get stuck in her trap!

* Extra Credit Work: This is readily available for students who are passing the class.
Students who are not passing must do the regular class work before extra credit can be earned. See me for
more specific details. These opportunities are announced in class.

• Resubmitting Work: If you turned your work in on time you will be allowed to redo it and resubmit it for a better grade. In order to do this, you must attach your old copy to the new copy and write “Resubmit” on the top of the assignment.


Okay, enough said? Feeling overwhelmed already? Stop and breathe. I am strict, but also fair. It is important to me that you know what is going on and expected in my class. I hope to see your face beaming with pride in your own excellent work and feel good about how well you have prepared yourself. Need help with any of this stuff? See me. I am always here before school, during the access period or you can schedule time with me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment